Sunday, November 11, 2012

My Judo World Master's Experience

I just got back from Miami where the 2012 IJF Judo Grand Masters World Championships were held. Athletes over the age of 30 are grouped by 5 year increments. I compete in M-4 (45-49). There were over 40 countries and over 800 competitors making this an awesome tournament. Earlier this year I won the USA Judo Nationals and this was my first international judo tournament. Even though I did not win,I learned a lot from the 2 bouts I had against some veteran judoka. I faced off with Cardoso Lopez of Mexico and Bustos Fiero of Argentina. Fiero would go on to win Bronze. Other members from my team (Wakamusha Judo, coached by 2x Olympian Leo White) fought hard and one came back with a Bronze Medal. Even though I had less competitive judo experience than my competition I did not feel outclassed and I felt that I performed for my first time at this level. I train with some good guys and I get a lot of help from by buddy and coach, Josh White (currently ranked 5th in the country). The cool thing for me is that I am able to learn and get better. I started seriously competing in combat sports when I was 18 and now I'm 46. I have almost 30 years as a combat athlete in several sports (sport karate, tae kwon do, kickboxing, boxing, muay thai, shidokan triathlon and now judo). I can continue to grow as a martial artist. I will share some video footage with you soon.

1 comment: