Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Overcoming Fear

What is the best way to overcome fear of doing something? Do it. If you are afraid of heights, climb something high. If you are afraid of water, jump in the pool. Since I coach competitors for combat sports, I've seen a lot of guys show fear and insecurity. I've seen guys show up at the weigh in for a fight early in the day and not show up come fight time. I've had guys leave me notes on the gym door right before a match and disappear. Some guys will talk and run their mouths to psyche themselves up for a match. The best way for you to conquer fear and uncertainty is to just do it. The more you do it the more comfortable you will become. When I started kickboxing, I trained at Asa's Gym. This was the place to train for boxing and kickboxing. I spent a good 1 to 1 1/2 getting my butt kicked. So, after feeling the worst that can happen (getting hit by every imaginable punch and kick) known to man, there was no need to fear. On top of that I was the youngest of 3 boys, so getting beat up was nothing new. So, once you no longer fear losing, pain, or fatigue (which you will experience in the process of learning), you will overcome you fears.

No comments:

Post a Comment