Thursday, December 28, 2017

A Fun Ride

I had a quick ride through memory lane and just decided to jot down some of the many great people I had the opportunity to meet and train with. I started training in 1974 as a kid in Ft. Bragg NC. My first instructor was the late Grand Master Jimmie Brown (one of the founding members of the House of Discipline) and the school was the first martial arts program at Ft. Bragg. Upon returning to Atlanta in the late 70s, I trained under my big brother, Charles Trammell. In the mid 80s I started training with Master Issac Thomas (who has one of the longest running Taekwondo schools in Atlanta). Through Teakwood I had the opportunity to see some of the best kickers in 80s and 90s. In 1985 I went to a martial arts demonstration by Atlanta's first World Kickboxing Champion, Jeff Gripper. Afterwards I asked him a lot of questions and he referred me to the late James Asa Gordon, who was the premier trainer of Kickboxers in the hey day of PKA. I had the opportunity to train with the top in the sport at that time (Jerry Rhome, Jerry Trimble, Eddie Jones, Tony Reed, etc.). I got to see Evander Hollyfield, Don Wilson, Bob Thurman and Bill Superfoot Wallace train at Asa's. I even ran with Bad Brad Hefton. I fought my first amateur and first pro fights on Joe Corley promotions. Gripper took under his wing and contemplated coming out of retirement, thus making me a sparring partner. In boxing I had the opportunity to train with some of the best local fighters and some high level fighters (Sam Garr, Ebo Elder, Romalis Ellis, Robert Allen, David Taylor, JC Candello. O'neil Bell). In the 90s I met and became pals with Kelly Leo and Pedro Solona we got to see Muay Thai become popular. We saw NHB become MMA and American kickboxing give way to K-1 Kickboxing. I trained Judo with Master Nak Jun Kim (former Korean National Team Member), Bob Byrd, Dr. Gary Berliner. I would later train with Olympian Leo White and top international Judokas Josh White and Ernesto Serano. Upon seeing the Shidokan Triathlon (Karate, Kickboxing and MMA) on TV I set out to pursue the sport. After competing in the 2000 Shidokan Team USA, I learn more about the organization and art of Shidokan and in 2001 established Shidokan Atlanta. I have trained un Shihan Eddie Yoshimura and in Shidokan and Urban Combatives. So I end this rant of the past to say that I've had a fun ride over the years.

No comments:

Post a Comment