Friday, June 12, 2015

Relaxed Power

Like everybody else in martial arts, when I started, I thought you were supposed to try and hit things as hard as you can. What I mean is, that you have to exert external force (use your musccles). Over the years, I've found that I can generate more efficient power throw being relaxed. When you are taught to execute a strike, you are told to stay relaxed and at the moment of impact, tighten and exhale, and then relax. You try to hit hard and feel that you need to lift a little heavier and maybe get your muscles bigger and what not. Even experience fighters get tight while trying to deliver a hard blow. This tightness is seen through body language and even though they may be able to hit hard, they are not always maximizing their power. I am going to share two clips from my evolution in relaxed power. Here's me in my 20s. I used a lot of muscle and there is explosiveness in moment but a lot of tension. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LFd2nwrHbA Here's me in my 30s. You will that I am relaxed. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZiKwilIjbCw So, relax and develop your technique. Endless repitition is the key to perfection. No short cuts.

No comments:

Post a Comment