Monday, December 5, 2011

Have A Base Art

In today's martial arts world, there are a lot of styles to train in.  The MMA approach is very popular. In Mixed Martial Arts, we say that you have to train in several disciplines (i.e. boxing, kickboxing, wrestling, grappling, etc.) to be well rounded. Develop a base in one art (kickboxing, karate, or whatever) and then add on. Your base art will be something that fits your body and personality. I like to kick people in the head, so my base is Tae Kwon Do and Karate. Since I like to kick, opponents are going to want to get in close, so, I learned to box and kickbox. Because I like to kickbox and box, opponents are going to want to grab when in close, so, I added Muay Thai skills for the clinch. Once in the clinch, opponents may want to me down, so I added Judo so I can throw or sweep from the clinch and then I added the newaza (grappling). Find out what you like and build your MMA approach around your strengths and improve in any areas you feel week in. GO TRAIN!!

No comments:

Post a Comment