Thursday, October 18, 2012

My Kickoxing Style

Having a 20 year career in the sport of kickboxing and having fought under different rules, I get asked sometimes about my particular style of kickboxing. I come from a Korean martial arts background (Tang Soo Do and Tae Kwon Do). I started training in American Kickboxing (aka Full Contact Karate, above the waist rules) in 1985. In order to do well in this sport you had to learn how to box. After spending several years in boxing gyms and training with top notch boxers, I started boxing competitively. Also during this time, I met other kickboxing stylist (low kick and muay thai) and through training learned new techniques and other methods of training. In the 90s I started to learn pure muay thai. I spend 3 years training 6 days a week just like one would in a Thai Camp (running, bag and pads, neck wrestling, sparring, etc.). By the time 2000 came, I was able to effectively blend all of my experiences into a unique approach to stand up fighting. Having been a high level Tae Kwon Do competitor (I finished 2nd in the nation at one time), having been an amateur and professional boxer (above average as a boxer but able to box better than 90% of my fellow kickboxers), having won a U.S. Kickboxing title (ISKA Full Contact Lightmiddleweight title) and having fought in an 8 man Muay Thai tournmanet (Shikon Thai Boxing Grand Prix in Europe). So, with all that said, I've been able to blend the experiences of individual sports in one system. I have been able to change the dance with opponents. By that, I mean I can catch their rhythm but give something different that they have trouble picking up on. If they do, I give them something else. Because these speciality areas have different ranges, strategies and training methods, I've been able to apply all of them whenever I needed to for an advantage over the competition.

1 comment: