Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Who's The Master?

I should start using Master before my name. In martial arts (primarily arts like Karate, Tae Kwon Do, and Kung Fu), the high ranking instructors like to introduce themselves as Master So And So. I once met a guy in a martial arts supply store and he introduced himself as a Master (and then his name). He asked me what rank I was and was supprised that I was a 3rd dan (I'm a 3rd degree in Shidokan) for the amount of time I've been training in the martial arts. Inside I laughed because I know he didn't know the difference between a right cross and a kick in the arse. It's funny how this little bit of magic and mysticism is still associated with instructors. I have competed in different martial sports: TKD, Judo, Boxing,Kickboxing, Muay Thai, Shidokan Triathlon (Karate, kickboxing, Grappling). I have competed against some of the best in the fight business and I continue to you challenge myself. In no way do I consider myself a master.

No comments:

Post a Comment