Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Step Outside Your Comfort Zone

With so many martial arts available, students have the ability to learn a lot. To improve your hands you can box. To learn ground fighting you can do various grappling arts. There is still a lot of tunnel vision in the martial arts. Some stylists still think their art is better than somebody elses. To learn how to fight, you have to look at the world through the window of other houses. You have to go and try other styles and keep an open mind. The difficult thing for people to do is to remain humble. I am champion in kickboxing and Shidokan. I was an elite level Taekwondo player. Despite these accomplishments, I was always humbled when I boxed with Olympic level boxers or really good professionals. When I train Judo, I get thrown by older and younger guys. I am competitve and think highly of myself at what I am most proficient in, but I at the same time I don't know everything, so I am a student always seeking more knowlegdge. This goes for what I don't know and what I already know.

No comments:

Post a Comment