Thursday, March 17, 2011

Practical Training For Effective Fighting

During my 20s, I spent a lot of time in a ring kickboxing and boxing. It combat sports like boxing, judo, wrestling, kickboxing, etc. training with a noncompliant partner is the best method to develop your skills. This is not the case in a lot of traditional martial arts schools, where you drill theory with a compliant partner. When I teach martial arts, I keep this in mind for my students. I would like to share a clip of me being toyed with by former number one super middleweight boxing contender, Lamar Parks. He would come do Doraville Boxing Gym in the early 90s to get some sparring from me and Sam Garr (who was a top welterweight contender). I sparred with top boxers to improve my hands and develop skills (reflex, reaction, toughness, etc.) that you just can get anywhere else. Watch the leverage he gets when digs to the body. This type of work teaches what works and what doesn't. You also learn when to move (as you will here my coach say at times) when you are in the danger zone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNMIofsWvXM&feature=related

No comments:

Post a Comment