Monday, September 19, 2011

I Thought Martial Artists Were Supposed To Have Manners

Shidokan Atlanta did a demonstration this past weekend at the Annual Japan Fest. As I was walking to the venue, I passed several martial artists, who were doing some type of demonstration at the event. They were either coming or going. I would say hello in passing (I was wearing a gym t-shirt and Karate pants). It seemed painful for people to speak to me (and I was the first to speak in all cases). I was received with respect by only 2 schools (I see them every year at the festival). I am happy to see people train in martial arts (regardless of style) and I expect some type of camaraderie between us. In the martial arts, they teach us honor, respect, discipline, etc. Many traditional martial arts have some kind of school commandments or oath. Unfortunately, I am finding a lot of martial arts folks to be insecure, egotistical and impolite. When I around fighters (boxers, kickboxers, etc.) they always speak and show respect. Many traditionalist think that fighters lack honor, discpline, etc. but they need to check themselves. Instructors lead by example. Your students are an extension of you. If you have insecurities, you pass them on to them. Always be courteous and respectful.

No comments:

Post a Comment